Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Bookweek



Last week the kids celebrated Bookweek at school. Bec was so excited and quickly announced that she was going to dress up as "Rebecca the Rock and Roll Fairy" from the Rainbow Magic books. She planned her costume all by herself and knew exactly what she would wear.



Will, on the other hand, was completely opposed to the idea. "I don't do dressing up," he told me repeatedly. And he is right, he doesn't. I can think of one single occasion in his whole entire life where he even so much as put a mask on his face. Bec has tried countless times to entice him into the Sheriff Woody or Spiderman or Batman costumes we have in our dress-up box. But he won't even put on a pirates hat. I don't know what it is, but he just does not like dressing up. I explained to him that the whole junior school will be dressing up and putting on a parade which would be really, really fun, but he thought that he just might not like to go to school on Friday. Anyway, one of the shortlisted picture books this year just happened to be "It's Bedtime William" by Deborah Niland, who also wrote the Hippo on the Roof books which Will loves. So I bought him the book and I read it to him and he read it to me over and over and he eventually conceded that he might go along as William wearing his pyjamas if he could wear them to bed the night before so then he wouldn't have to get dressed in the morning. It worked, and the next morning the issue of dressing up was no big deal. He made a very cute little William and ended up having a really lovely day. I think he even liked the attention when people commented that he was wearing his pj's. With a bit of luck next year might be a whole lot easier!




As part of the celebrations the children were asked to draw the front cover of one of the shortlisted books. Bec chose "Duck for a day" and drew this gorgeous cover


Will chose "It's Bedtime William" and drew this one. I was so proud of them both for all the time they put in. They are patiently waiting to see if they were lucky enough to win a book voucher.





Also, during Bookweek Will read his very first chapter book. His teacher had very kindly bought in some of her son's "Zac Power's" books for Will to borrow. He absolutely loved them and was so excited that he was able to read big boy books all by himself. These books are really wonderful (a very welcome change from fairies!) They are absolutely perfect for him and he has been so keen to read them before bed every night. In the last week he has already finished 5 of them!




I hope you've had a wonderful week and have enjoyed some of the beautiful sunshine we've been getting!

4 comments:

Jules said...

Love them both christine! Don't you just love watching kids develop that passion. My lad loves his zac power books too... he has read every one in the school library... plus the ones i had to go and buy also! cheers .. .:) x

Sheree said...

Awww...Christine they looked SO cute all dressed up for book week! Their drawings are very cute and I love your pages too! Gorgeous!

Sheree xx

Debbi Tehrani said...

What a wonderful thing to celebrate, and how awesome that you documented this! Beautiful pages!

Leanne said...

What a fabulous week! And to have the memories scrapped already! LOL!!! You ROCK!!! Hope you are having a wonderful day...x