Thursday, August 25, 2011

Generation Gap - Weeks 1 and 2




Aussie Scrap Source is running a fantastic readers challenge at the moment. It's called Generation Gap, and it encourages everyone to scrap pages that compare and contrast differences between 2 generations. I really love the concept behind this, recording this type of information is exactly what scrapbooking is all about for me. It's not too late to join in, there is a new challenge each week for 10 weeks.




For week one I chose to focus on dolls and I used an old photo of me with my cabbage patch kid, Almira Judith, as well as photos of Bec and Lizzy with their first dolls.




The journalling reads: "This is the only doll I can ever recall owning. I bought her with my $50 birthday money, not because I particularly wanted her, but more so I wasn't left out of my sister's games. In contrast, you girls have always loved dolls. Bec became very attached from about 10 months old. She loved to undress them! Liz, I gave you your first doll when you turned one. You feed her, cuddle her and push her in the stroller."


Week 2 was all about technology. I chose to focus on the changes in video gaming systems between my generation and my children's. I didn't have any photos of our old Atari so I sourced some images on the internet and compared them with the consoles and screen graphics of today's Wii systems.



My journalling reads: "Will, you love all things electronic and video games are no exception. In 2010 you were lucky enough to get given a Wii console from Gran and Pop for Christmas. You pretty much only ever play Wii Sports or Sports Resort, but you would play all day if I let you. These days, you play with a remote that is completely wireless and motion sensitive. It is totally interactive, so you get up and physically shoot a basketball, swing a golf club or bowl a ball. You can even personalise it by creating your own Mii character.

Watching you enjoy playing video games brings back fond memories from my own childhood. In the early 1980's, before we even had a computer, my family owned an Atari 2600, an early pioneer of todays video gaming systems. It had a simple 8-bit graphic system and a memorable wood grain console that we plugged into the TV. It took chunky black game cartridges and had a solid black joystick which featured a single big orange button. My favourite games were Pac-Man, Frostbite, River Raid, Space Invaders and Asteroids, which later became the most popular Atari game of all time. My sisters and I had hours of fun playing Atari, even though it caused the occasional squabble. I once remember being so upset with my sister because she was beating me at Frostbite that I ripped the cartridge out of the console so the scores got wiped! I always recall that particular memory when I hear you and Bec arguing over the Wii. I guess some things never change!"



A few months back I entered a Jenni Bowlin Studios competition there for a chance to win a guest design team spot. I was so thrilled to win! Here's my layout:



The journalling is a quote from the Story People. It says "There has never been a day when I have not been proud of you, I said to my daughter. Though some days I'm louder about other stuff so it's easy to miss that"



I do like that quote, it's a good reminder to tell her more often.

Thanks so much for dropping by!



7 comments:

Sheree said...

I love the whole idea of the Generation Gap scrapping and you've created two fantastic pages so far Christine. Congrats on winning the Guest DT spot too...how exciting!!

Sheree xx

Kerryn said...

Hi Christine :). Just wanted to say thank you for stopping by my blog and for your lovely comment. I've always loved your work so it was a real buzz to see your comment :).

Congrats on the GDT spot!

Aussie TM5 Thermomixer said...

I have been watching this comp over at the ASS blog. Love your layouts and congrats on winning the Jenni Bowlin guest spot - I was so happy when I saw that you'd won! It's a beautiful page!

Debbi Tehrani said...

Beautiful pages here! I love the idea behind the Generation Gap challenge, and you did a fantastic job with this! Congratulations on the JB gig!

Kim said...

totally lovin your way with mixing pattern paper!!!!!!

Fran said...

HUGE congrats on the Jenni Bowlin spot - thats fantastic!!!
I adore that top Lo - just perfect - love it!!!!

Fran xx

Leanne said...

OMGosh!! Fabulous LOs here!! I think I am very tempted to scraplift!! LOL! (just need to find the time!) I love your creations...x